A year in Nagasaki

A desription of my final preparations during august and the fun time in Amsterdam during that time up to my year at the university of Nagasaki from the 1st october 2005 thru august 2006. Together with 9 other students from the University of Leiden, Holland, we are on an extra-curricular year to improve our conversational skills. Will it work ??

Wednesday, July 19

Meshi 飯

.
It appeared that I had accumulated more stuff than I had anticipated and in the end needed to ship 4 boxes with about 18 kg each in contents back to Amsterdam. It costs about € 60 per box (overland/boat shipment and takes about 45 days) so that’s quite cheap considering the costs of having a shipping company do it for you. Of course I know that some of the stuff could have been left behind (sheets and pillows, sake bottles) but then again, apart from the obvious sentimental reasons, I really didn’t want to leave anything behind in this country.
Since I’m flying via TC1 (US/Canada) the piece concept luggage rule is applicable instead of the 20 kg. That means I can take two peaces of checked luggage weighing no more than 64 kg together.

“Impeccable” アンペキャブルwas impeccable. It turned out that is is situated on the 2nd floor of the same building that houses Club “Jah Rules”, the first and only place I ever went dancing here in Nagasaki. They served a “Menu Fixe” so you basically eat what they serve that day. Of course you can inform them of certain things that you really do not like. Since Christoph doesn’t eat fish he was served other meaty things. The six course menu was a wonderful concoction of French food with Japanese touches… very refined and of course great attention was paid to the presentation. We downed it all with a great rosé wine and could even speak French with the owners.
On top of that I received a wonderful book from Saul called Meshi about seasonal dishes with rice. The word meshi, same character as the word han 飯 (meaning rice or also a small bite) comes from mesu 召す an archaic word for eat and drink and you still hear it being used in the polite meshiageru 召し上げる .I will have to translate the rest with my word tank since it is of course in Japanese.

I’m basically ready to go now. Do not feel like going to lectures anymore, just waiting for the days to pass by quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home