A year in Nagasaki

A desription of my final preparations during august and the fun time in Amsterdam during that time up to my year at the university of Nagasaki from the 1st october 2005 thru august 2006. Together with 9 other students from the University of Leiden, Holland, we are on an extra-curricular year to improve our conversational skills. Will it work ??

Thursday, June 8

U.K. Drought

.
At times when walking through Nagasaki i feel like I look like I'm wearing a mask like the one shown here. People here are prone to staring at you for no apparent (in my eyes ) reason but then again beauty isn't given to many so I do understand their fascination with mine.

Well it has finally hit the Japanese papers as well...the severe drought in the United Kingdom. The Japan Times devoted half a page to the subject explaining about the fines if one is caught using water unnecessarily (who defines that ??) and the fact that the basins haven't been renewed for ages and thus are leaking great amounts of water every day. In Chris' parallel blog he had already mentioned it but just never thought about it.

Today we had two lectures in the Rangaku 蘭学(Dutch Studies = Western Studies) series in the City Historical Museum 長崎市歴史博物館 . Not that the lecture room was more beautiful or the lecture more interesting but at least there was time to visit the museum shop. They showed us old (18th century), stained and about to dissolve Dutch documents from quite a distance so our breath wouldn't make it fall apart all together.
We now have to write down in Dutch the almost unintelligable writings by an 18th century Dutch guy in Deshima.

Tomorrow I'm off to Bangkok for the weekend to see Paul. We're going to meet up with Marco tomorrow night ( he will also come to Nagasaki in July ), with David and Scott on Saturday and Steve on Sunday.
King Bhumibol Adulyadej acceded to the Throne as Rama the IX of Thailand on the 9th of June 1946, when he was only 18 years of age and these 60 years on the throne will be celebrated in style this weekend. I hope they don't cancel my flight or Paul's for the minor VIPs coming in.
The royal barges event will take place on monday..... so unfortunately we'll have to give it a miss.

I became a member of a Japanese internet group that puts people in touch with similar interests and ususally in the same place. it's called Asoboo meaning let's visit and let's play. And guess what I was contacted by a chap in Aichi prefecture, called Minoru who loves Opera. So now I will go to Tokyo next thursday to see Andrea Chenier by Umberto Giordano performed by the Teatro Comunale di Bologna in the Tokyo Centre for Performing Arts in Ueno Park. Faberoony......

Live is good....

p.s.
There is news that my friend Pim might not come to Nagasaki after all since the guy who is taking over his dentistry practice for half a year has fallen ill all of a sudden.
Hope he can find another replacement though......

2 Comments:

  • At 10:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your description of the old documents reminds me of the tour of the Imperial Palace. Remember the guide telling us why the courtiers faced away so they would not "breeve" on the Emperor. Well I'm so glad that at least Japan is taking our imminent dehydration seriously. I no longer feel isolated. When are they sending us an iceberg?
    Hope you have the best time in BKK with Paul. Ask him what his travel plans are. When do we expect him?
    I am absolutely sure your flight will get through - after all you're on of the major VIPs attending the celebrations. Weren't you Rama VIII in a previous life?
    No as for your latest venture. Have I got this right. One Dutch person, One japanese person Going to the Opera in Japan performed by an Italian group about the life of a French poet. Can you get any more international?
    Have fun. Enjoy and speak soon.
    Cheers
    Chris
    xxx

     
  • At 8:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Drought Update - The sun is splitting the streets.
    Personal update - I put my back out on Saturday morning. Not during extremely physical sex I regret to say but while cleaning the toilet. On previous occasions when this has happened I have been completely immobile. I seem to have been luckier this time. Movement is difficlut but I can move and I'm at work today. Walking is painful but possible and I think exercise is good for it. It is better than is was on Saturday that's for sure.
    On Thursday I was at a charity do at Thomas Goode - very upmarket crystal, china cutlery and all that good stuff. Very "A" list gay crowd so how I managed to get in I have no idea. Was fun and met a lot of nice people. Right I must be off to chew a painkiller.
    Take care
    Chris
    xxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home