A year in Nagasaki

A desription of my final preparations during august and the fun time in Amsterdam during that time up to my year at the university of Nagasaki from the 1st october 2005 thru august 2006. Together with 9 other students from the University of Leiden, Holland, we are on an extra-curricular year to improve our conversational skills. Will it work ??

Saturday, July 22

Sayonara II

.
Even simple things can in Japan turn out to be extremely difficult and in the end can end up being very annoying like cancelling a cell phone subscription. It is not an easy task and in my case an impossible one.

I went with Alexandra to the AU KDDI store where I got my cell phone in order to cancel the subscription. “Can I pay cash for the total sum please” I said. Yes, no problem the sales person said. She subsequently disconnected my phone from the system, printed some forms (one of which was a 3.150 Yen fee for cancelling abruptly which I knew) and then proceeded to phone all kinds of people. After half an hour it turned out I couldn’t pay cash and I couldn’t pay through the bank. They put somebody on the phone to tell me in English but the person could only stammer “wakaranai” meaning I don’t understand. I left to go to bank to close my account and when I returned Alex was still there, having to explain that she was not Paul and what her relationship with me was????
There seemed to be no solution to the problem so one hour and a quarter later we left the store still not understanding why we could not pay……….??
So either I’m 10.000 Yen richer or I will be stopped leaving the country or worse I will never be allowed to re-enter this country.

Mai and Akitaka took me for dinner to this beautiful place called Ume no Hana where a traditional Japanese food is served. We had a tofu menu and by Jove the thing one can do with tofu. Different tastes, different structures and different colours all are accompanied by several cold or hot dipping sauces, dashi broth and condiments. Simply loved it.

I really do hope to see them again in Amsterdam or where ever in the world. Even Akitaka seems to have acquired an ambition to venture outside of Japan and have a better more relaxed way of life.

My Taxi is waiting ... got to go.
Bye, Bye Japan

1 Comments:

  • At 7:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dearest,
    Delighted you're finally coming home - can't wait! I'm truly proud of you for sticking it out, despite the hard times. Thanks for turning even your trials and tribulations into entertainment for all of us at home world.. "Itterassyai kiotukete!", big kiss. Paul

     

Post a Comment

<< Home