A year in Nagasaki

A desription of my final preparations during august and the fun time in Amsterdam during that time up to my year at the university of Nagasaki from the 1st october 2005 thru august 2006. Together with 9 other students from the University of Leiden, Holland, we are on an extra-curricular year to improve our conversational skills. Will it work ??

Monday, December 5

Bangkok III

Had lunch with Steve and Tom (an good old friend of his) in Kuppa, a nice place to have Brunch.
On of the things you can have made here are 'Business Cards' and since I needed a new one for Japan...I had one made, with my Japanes characters Karyuudo in yellow and my name in Katakana (YAAGA POORU) on top of my normal name......simple and yet tasteful..disagreement anyone?
Sunday the 4th was Jan's birthday and we were invited for his birthday-party in the evening on his roofgarden (with swimming pool) in Ekkamai. Lotsa dutch people ofcourse either working here or just visiting.
Dirk just moved here from HongKong and Sybren arrived for a short holiday.
Great food, great views, good music (leave that to Jan) and lots of booze. Since Paul and I both didn't feel too well..(food or just plain tired) we headed off early back to our hotel. Not before arranging to meet Marleen and her boyfriend Arkom for dinner on monday. Marleen works for the UN (had met her already in Kobe last July) and Arkom is an artist (painter) who is having a major exhibition of his work next wednesday. Will already be back in Nagasaki unfortunately.
Today, monday the 5th) is a day of rest and and a national holiday here in Thailand (the King's Birthday) so there are festivities everywhere with classical Thai dances performed on the street and just lots of people everywhere.
Christmas has arrived here in a big way...I have just never ever seen so many X-mas lights in an city...not even New York.
I really don't want to leave on wednesday...love it here, but no choice.

p.s.
It's a small world indeed...one of the people I met at Jan's party was Louis Gooren (a retired surgeon from Amsterdam, who has done some great work by performing gender altering surgeries over the last decades ad who helped change our point of view on that matter in the Netherlands) and who had just moved to Bangkok two months ago.. And yes once again we do have friends in common from San Diego..Bob & Kleon. They either stayed with us or with Louis, if we weren't there......I sometimes think that the world is just a small village and that notion of 6 degrees of separation is really only 2 or 3 degrees.!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should do "infomercials" for BKK. You obviously love the place. Love the business card. Only in Japan would you need to write the same thing three times. I'd love to know what Seabury is in Kanji - is that how you write it? That's your project for the week. If ever you go to Pattaya when you're in Thailand let me know and I'll get you to visit Chris at his hotel/bar/restaurant. Think it may be a bit of a knocking shop but, Hey, what the hell. He's got a lovely little daughter now and I'm her godfather. Perhaps "alternate guardian" might be a better description as she'll not be getting much religion from me.
    Have you beaten up that rude bitch in Nagasaki? After your lovely time in BKK I'm sure she has taken on the significance she so richly deserves - none at all.
    Keep hanging in there. Keep having fun. Miss you lots. It looks as if I may have to come over just for the day to AMS in the early New Year. Want to have you to myself so I'll come after the third and before the seventh. Perhaps we could have a nice lunch and a good old chat. Just want to see you.
    Speak soon. Love ya and miss ya. Chris xx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home