A year in Nagasaki

A desription of my final preparations during august and the fun time in Amsterdam during that time up to my year at the university of Nagasaki from the 1st october 2005 thru august 2006. Together with 9 other students from the University of Leiden, Holland, we are on an extra-curricular year to improve our conversational skills. Will it work ??

Saturday, April 15

Akitaka and Mai

.
I have two conversation partners here in Nagasaki, Kenichi and Akitaka.
As it happens Akitaka lives with Mai, another student who speaks not only excellent english but dutch also, having spend a year in Utrecht with a guest family three years ago. Well last night Alex and I were invited for dinner there. Alex brought a bottle of expensive wine and being Dutch I thought flowers would do nicely. Mai cooked a fab meal with specialities from her hometown Miyazaki. Chicken, crabs and maki rolls. This is all the more fabulous considering they live on a stamp and with just one (1) burner in an alcove kitchen to cook on.
A good time was had by all and way after midnight we grabbed a cab back.
This weekend I already have to start studying and doing my homework... not a chore I'm looking forward to but it's just got to be done.

My other conversation partner is a student (again) here at the university and studies physical therapy; basically a study to find out the best ways to help people who suffered a stroke etc. He is a fervent Kendo fan, the traditional Japanese sport with the wooden swords and takes part in regional championships as well. Since the Japanese do not like to go into the sun, Kenichi while on holiday in Phuket, Thailand, a couple of weeks ago and looking at all those europeans sunning themselves had a go at it but never thought to put any cream on.. well you can imagine the result. The expression used in Japan to describe that you look like a lobster is strikingly similar be it that they use another animal: a boiled octopus 茹でたこ.

Paul has left for Dhaka, Bangladesh to work for 2 weeks and will then come over here... yeah. Finally he too will be able to sample the delights of Nagasaki.

Today is the day that Paul and I will hear if we were lucky in a draw to be the new owners of a still to be build new and bigger appartment in Amsterdam...I'll keep my fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home