A year in Nagasaki

A desription of my final preparations during august and the fun time in Amsterdam during that time up to my year at the university of Nagasaki from the 1st october 2005 thru august 2006. Together with 9 other students from the University of Leiden, Holland, we are on an extra-curricular year to improve our conversational skills. Will it work ??

Monday, July 24

Aloha

.
Arriving at an airport way before your flight can be good or it can be bad, depending on how you look at it of course.
Kansai, Osaka’s international airport at 3.30 pm., ready to check in with United for my flight to Honolulu (HNL) at 7 pm. Due to oversold flight to HNL the following offer:
Go to San Francisco (SFO) now and from there to HNL arrive there two and a half hours later than scheduled but in First Class all the way plus some USD on top of that to be redeemed for a future flight. You have to decide now as the flight is about to depart.
“I’m glad I can be of assistance” I mutter and luggage retagged, I run to the gate with my money check and new boarding cards.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, United is sorry to inform you of a delay for flight 886 to SFO due to air traffic control. As soon as we will get clearance we will start boarding”. Two hours later we do indeed board the aircraft. Fabulous flight of course with flat beds, great food, champagne plus all the attention one could need. To cut the story short I finally arrive 8 hours later in HNL and basically missed out on a day at the beach but in time for Happy Hour at Hula’s.

I passed the date line and so even though I left Japan on Saturday the 22nd at 5.30 pm. I arrive in SFO on Saturday the 22nd at 10.45 am.

We have this great two bed roomed apartment, sundeck, huge kitchen, fancy TV and CD player ………. but no wardrobes and drawers. Who ever designed the lay-out of this place wasn’t thinking. So a week of living out of our suitcases will be our fate.
The weather is super; the surf great and floating on our water beds in the ocean is a delight.

Do we really have to leave next Thursday………….???

1 Comments:

  • At 8:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So you finally escaped!! Still with the mobile phone or not? You certainly seem to have Made the most of your departure - dinners all overthe place. You have the luck of the devil - First Class all that way. Must have been rather pleasant even though it was a bit of a long way round. Hawaii!! I have such fond memories. Remember the boy on the pedicab? I certainly do. And Hula's!! I'm amazed it's still going. We had some laughs there. Is Hamburger Mary's still going too? And what about The Blowhole? I need answers to all of this.
    Back in London it is still baking - 30 degrees today and 34-35 tomorrow. No air conditioning in the office so it feels as though we're being poached. Had a very pleasant garden lunch at a friend's house in South London on Sunday. Loads of people I knew from Air Canada days. Some of whom I didn't like at the time but age has obviously mellowed me because I liked them all on Sunday. Have they changed or have I? So is it Montreal next? I do like the city but haven't been there for quite a while and last time it was -24 degrees. I think it may be a bit hotter for you. Back to home life. We thought the koi were getting too big for the pond so we asked the man at the fish shop what he thought we could get for them. He told us £25 each which was rather disappointing. Dean has a friend who's husband breed them and he came over to give his opinion. He valued the best one at £500 - £700 and the other one at £500. That's a bit more like it. He also looked at the little ones that were bred in the pond and said that two of them were exceptional and that if they stayed true to form they would be worth £1000 each in the not too distant future. Have no plans to go into the koi breeding business though.
    Well off to the theatre on Friday to see a friend in some amateur production of something or other. I love amateur productions. They're so unpredictable. The weekend after I'm off to Gary and Robert's country estate (Studley Priory) for a weekend house party. Arrive on Saturday after lunch and back home on Sunday evening. I'm taking Simon with me for moral support.(The one I met in Gran Canaria about 18 months ago). Work is still horrible and I'm actively looking to move. We shall see.
    Right I must be off. Take care, love to everyone and have a ball. Down a Mai-Tai for me at sundown.
    C.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home