A year in Nagasaki

A desription of my final preparations during august and the fun time in Amsterdam during that time up to my year at the university of Nagasaki from the 1st october 2005 thru august 2006. Together with 9 other students from the University of Leiden, Holland, we are on an extra-curricular year to improve our conversational skills. Will it work ??

Wednesday, April 19

伊王島

.
Wednesday is my day off during the week which basically means studying in the library or at home but today together with Alex and Anja, a friend from Amsterdam, we ventured out to a delightful small island called Ioujima 伊王島, about a twenty minute boat ride from Nagasaki harbour. You can buy a combined ticket for the ferry ride and onsen together for 980 Yen.
After a wonderfull walk beside the sea we arrived at a small man made beach with just us on it. made sand castles, walked in the surf and just lazied around. All the while the sun was shining brightly with temperatures well above 23 degrees.

Went to this onsen where the outdoor baths 露天風呂 look out over the sea all the way to Nagasaki ..... wow!! Had the best curry udon ever (must have been more than a liter of in a huge bowl) filled with tender chicken pieces and drank a tasty beer. Then the rain that had been predicted for the whole day but just never materialized started all of a sudden so we had to run to the boat and made it back home safely. Definitely a thing to do when visiting Nagasaki, folks!

Skype seems to become more and more of a hype. Since I started out last september with just Tobi in Dehli and Karen in Geneva as contacts, I now have about 35. Well I guess you can't beat a good working and free product. Paying for phone calls will be thing of the past... mark my words!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Paul,
    I always know there will be plenty of news when I haven't signed in for a few days. With the court case I haven't had much time but all is now back to normal. Well as usual you have been busy. What an interesting way to buy an apartment! It's more like a raffle but any system would seem to be better than ours. I hope you get your first choice. Where would the apartment be situated?
    I imagine it's much more fun learning Japanese in the company of Japanese people in an informal / friendly setting. You did make me laugh talking about the sunburn. I remember years ago a guy called Hero who worked for JAL going on holiday to Miami and coming back like a boiled octopus. Like your friend he had no conception of the sun's intensity. He learned his lesson.
    Sad you should mention Suzy. There are a lot of people like that. We are so lucky. I have an ex colleague who has withdrawn like that. Won't answer the phone or the door. There is really nothing we can do to help. I think that his case is perhaps an age related problem but that doesn't make it less sad. It certainly makes minor financial problems fade into insignificance. Moving on to happier subjects I hope Paul's visit is a great success and that he enjoys Nagasaki. Take him to that island. It really sounds like fun. Must get back to work now so take care. I miss you as does Dean who says to thank you for your kind thoughts.
    Chris
    xxx

     
  • At 5:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Me again. You must be busy. No entries for a week. I'm suffering from withdrawal. Went to a "triple" wedding on Friday. Nigel and Nasser, Bill and Steve and Lee and Kevin - the reception was at a riverside restaurant in Richmond from 13.00 - 17.00. It was a really great day. After that I had to go to the airport to pick up Mum and Dad. Mum has really aged a lot even since New Year when I was last there. That said they had a great time and went home on Monday evening. They are going on a 16 day cruise at the end of May and are planning a trip to Vancouver to see my one and only uncle in August. Getting around while they still can.
    Well I hope all is well and that you're not working too hard. Any news on resignations etc? Let me know
    Cheers
    Chris

     

Post a Comment

<< Home