A year in Nagasaki

A desription of my final preparations during august and the fun time in Amsterdam during that time up to my year at the university of Nagasaki from the 1st october 2005 thru august 2006. Together with 9 other students from the University of Leiden, Holland, we are on an extra-curricular year to improve our conversational skills. Will it work ??

Tuesday, December 20

Only a couple of nights.......

This last week is witnessing an utter lack of interest on my part to go to any of the lectures anymore since A) it is still very cold (according to the paper the coldest winter Nagasaki has seen since the last 20 or so years !!) and B) I just can't be bothered anymore. But I still get up at an impossibly early hour, make breakfast (same thing everyday : toast, ham and strawberry jam and orange juice), hoist myself into the shower and then set off on my bike. Five more nights before I'm back in Amsterdam and let me tell you I'm looking forward to it.
During this cold weather the Exchange student division of the University organized a cultural exchange between the nations attending lectures here with food (to be prepared by the students themselves) and presentations also by the students. So the dutch contingent made "Hutspot", a winterdish consiting of mashed potatoes, onions and carrots plus meatballs. There was also Mihoen Goreng with Ajam smoor (Indonesia), cold springrolls (Taiwan), and food from Korea.

All of this happened outside by the way...
A group of Japanese students performed a dance while being scantily clad and freezing their butt off....... and the Chinese came with an old fashioned Dragon dance. As you can tell by the massive crowds..the interest was huge.

Here in appartment nr. 501 we cook once in a while for each other with Bart doing Italian fare, Ruud will experiment (has never cooked before in his life..not even an egg, before coming to Japan) and I will do whatever takes my fancy and whatever is available. I did bring a lot of foodstuffs from Bangkok and will send even more from Holland over here.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's beginning to sound more and more like Colditz. I imagine Binkie Fanshawe in the attic building a glider to help you escape the deprivation. I'm sure your pictures don't do the "spectacular" justice. Just how many were there? I bet your food was the best on offer. After all you could always turn a potato and a bit of wilted leek into a fabulous vichysoise (is that how you spell it?) Like you I am looking forward to getting off home for Christmas. Have done all the Christmas shopping etc and am now ready for anything. Office do tomorrow night which will be a small affair but nice.
    Quite understand you not wanting to head off in the cold to lectures. I think after the Christmas break you'll be much more willing to get back into the swing of lectures. It's not long then until your long break. Had drinks with Nigel on Sunday and bumped into three lads Dean and I had met in Gran Canaria 4 years ago. Had an absolute scream. They are completely mad.
    Right off back to work. Can't wait until the 3rd
    Cheers

    Chris

     

Post a Comment

<< Home